Raghunath Temple

Situated in the heart of the city and surrounded by a group of other temples, this temple dedicated to Lord Rama is outstanding and unique in Northern India. Work on the temple was started by Maharaja Gulab Singh, founder of the Kingdom of Jammu and Kashmir in 1835 AD and was completed by his son Maharaja Ranbir Singh in 1860 AD. The inner walls of the main temple are covered with gold sheet on three sides. There are many galleries with lakhs of 'Saligrams'. The surrounding Temples are dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses connected with the epic Ramayana.

History :
Amongst the temples in Jammu, the Raghunath Mandir dedicated to Lord Rama, takes pride of the place, being situated right in the heart of Jammu. The temple has seven shrines, with god-plated interiors. The most important houses the Dogra's patron deity, Rama, Vishnu's eighth incarnation. The cluster of temples makes it the largest temple complex in Northern India. The inner sanctums of the temples contain gigantic statues of Gods and Goddesses and numerous 'lingams'. It contains representatives of almost the entire Hindu Pantheon, which makes it a rare sight to see. The inner walls of the main temple are covered with gold sheet on three sides. There are many galleries with lakhs of 'Saligrams'.

The surrounding Temples are dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses connected with the epic Ramayana.The arches and architectural details show Mughal influence. Morning and evening aartis are ritually attended and there is also a stone lingam here and in the other shrines, for this is a center for Shakti worship. A portrait of Ranbir Singh, the temple patron and a sculpture of Hanuman are at the entrance. The other shrines have images of Vishnu in various incarnations, Siva and Surya. The Sanskrit Library here contains numerous rare manuscripts.Work on the temple was started by Maharaja Gulab Singh, founder of the Kingdom of Jammu and Kashmir in 1835 AD and was completed by his son Maharaja Ranbir Singh 1860 AD.

Raghunath temple has the most beautiful and splendid temple complex in Northern India. This complex consists of 17 temples. There is hardly any image of deity which is not represented here. This Temple is mainly dedicated to Lord Rama Work on the temple was started by Maharaja Gulab Singh, founder of the kingdom of Jammu and Kashmir in 1835 A.D. and was completed by his son, Maharaja Ranbir Singh in 1860 A.D. The inner walls of the main temple are covered with gold sheet on three sides. There are many galleries with lakhs of Saligrams. The surrounding temples are dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses connected with the epic RamayanaThe temple is also renowned for its depiction of the Rama Lila and Krishna Lila in paintings. According to legend, this temple of Lord Rama was built by Raja Jagat Singh of Kullu to correct a great wrong done by him. The idol apparently was brought from Ayodhya, the birthplace of Rama. The religious life style of Kullu valley revolves around this sacred.